Speed up your recovery
The first way to decrease your recovery time is to get adjusted. When your spine moves well and your nervous system is free from interference your body can heal and repair more efficiently. If we assume you are already getting adjusted, then what can you do for yourself to speed up your recovery?
The quickest route to recovery is keeping a healthy lifestyle.
As a part of all my initial examinations and re-examinations, I will ask about the four pillars of a healthy lifestyle. The four pillars include sleep, movement, nutrition and mindset. A strong and healthy body will recover from injury much faster than a body that is not well taken care of.
So what are the main factors that you can change to speed up your recovery in each pillar?
- Aim to get a minimum of 7-8 hours of quality sleep a night
- Sleep in a posture that supports your spine. Read more about that here.
- Go to bed and wake up at the same time each day. Regular sleep patterns have shown to be very beneficial to your overall health and wellbeing
- Move your body every day even when you are injured, movement is beneficial. The type of movement recommended for your personal injury may be different as you recover, but as a general rule of thumb, it is better to be moving than sitting still.
- Practice the exercises that are recommended for your recovery!
- A diet that is rich in nutrients ensures that you are eating all the nutrients you need to heal and repair. It is hard for the body to create healthy new cells when you do not feed it the nutrients required to make those new cells!
- If you are inflamed and very sore there can be specific anti-inflammatory foods or supplements that could help reduce your inflammation levels. Some common supplements include omega-3 fish oil (very high-quality oil is far better and safer, ask, if you are unsure which brand is best), turmeric, vitamin D3, and a low-sugar diet can all be very helpful in restoring normal inflammation levels.
- A stressed mind can create a stressed and painful body. Find time to be thankful and positive each day. Some days this will be easier than others. Write or list at least 5 things you are grateful for each day. It could be as simple as the fresh air you breathe in, for someone you love and appreciate, for the fact you have a roof over your head. We all have something we can be grateful for. Training our minds to find positives can be hard when all we see is the negative. But the more you practice seeing the positive in your life, the easier it will become to see and appreciate it. An example of this same principle is the story of when I bought my new Jeep Wrangler. I liked the car, I started looking at them, took one for a test drive, and I liked it. Then it was like magic, I kept seeing them everywhere I went. Every drive I took I saw at least one Jeep Wrangler. I still love my Jeep, and I still see Jeep Wranglers on the road everywhere. What you focus on you will see! Choose to see the positive.
If you want the fastest recovery from your back pain, neck pain, headaches or whatever brought you to the chiropractor, to begin with, then look at the four pillars of a healthy lifestyle. Look at your sleep, movement, nutrition and mindset.
Even if you are not recovering from an injury, looking after your lifestyle will keep you healthier and help prevent unnecessary aches and pains.
If you are suffering from back pain, neck pain, headaches or another issue and you haven’t found a chiropractor to help you then please reach out. A referral is not required to see a chiropractor, you are welcome to book in at any time for an assessment or a free 15-minute phone consult to see if chiropractic care is suitable.
Contact Dr. Anthea Holder to book an appointment today.
How to Make an Appointment
You can book online for a free 15-minute chiropractic discovery call. You can ask any questions you might have and find out if chiropractic may be able to help your pain. Or you can book online as a new chiropractic client.
As a chiropractor and nutritionist, I see patients, both adults and children, daily that breakthrough aches and pains, and live life to their fullest with chiropractic care. With help, they can turn their lives around to a healthier version of themselves. Make yourself and your family a priority today, and get back to living life at your best.
Yours in Health,
Dr. Anthea Holder
(Chiropractor and Functional Nutritional Therapy Practitioner)